The chrysanthemum is a long and perennial, making it a favorite among breeders, experienced and beginner gardeners. Some doubt their successful cultivation in the garden. However, this does not stop them from planting it in a pot. It is due to the fact that the beautiful colors of the chrysanthemums can not be attributed to the ordinary vegetation, which is hardly noticeable. Glances are often targeted at her, especially in autumn. In most of the garden’s composition, it begins to become boring and gloomy every day until its flowering is in its element.
Some interesting facts about chrysanthemums
The flower belongs to one of the largest flowering families, which has over 1000 genera and about 20 000 species
- The chrysanthemum has rich symbolism – it is gaining popularity in directions such as happiness, faithfulness, love, optimism, longevity and others. Delivered red chrysanthemum means love, white – loyal relationship in love, and yellow – affection of affection
- Chrysanthemums have the ability to purify the air, which provides a healthier living environment for humans – they absorb the harmful particles that are all around us. Removal of ammonia and formaldehyde is one of the main goodies of the plant.
- They have a sedative effect – by reading the composition of the flower is magical. It reduces levels of stress and excessive euphoria, as well as masks anger in certain situations. It acts as an opiate that mitigates emotions and anxiety
- They emit their individual energy – each person is tuned to a different frequency and vibrates, so is the flowers. The colors of the bush are not only of decorative value, they also inspire life, a sense of balance and self-preservation
- Helps to concentrate – soothing action contributes to better thought. This is extremely useful for science professionals as well as all other professions that require creativity and effective decision-making
- It has a relaxing effect – from distant times until today, aromatic chrysanthemum tea is gaining popularity. It has a pleasant taste, smell and warmth the body, making it a great addition to the winter days in front of the TV
10 known types of chrysanthemums
Anemone – form a color to about 4 inches. It feeds into one or several color ranges. It may be wrong with the type of daisy. Among the popular species in this group are Dorothy Mechum, Purple Light and Angel
Decorative – they reach about 5 and a little more inches tall. They have a decorative value that makes them a great addition or a major focus in the garden. Among the popular species in this group are Fireflash, Coral Charm and Honeyglow
Irregular Incurve – reaches significant dimensions – up to 6 – 8 inches. Typical of the species is the curving of the flora, which leads to the center of the flower. Among the popular species in this group are Luxor, Blushing Bride and River City
Pompom – they are small, reaching from 1 to 4 inches, but their interesting flowering is not to be missed. Among the popular species in this group are Rocky, Yoko Ono and Lavender Pixie
Quilled – this variety of chrysanthemums is a collection of other groups, very skilfully imitating them. Typical of the bush are the tubular fleets that dissolve, resembling a spoon rounded at the end. Among the popular species in this group are Seatons Toffee, Mammoth Yellow Quill and Muted Sunshine
Single and Semi-Double – occupy a small area, about 1-3 feet. This makes them ideal for accentuating a green vegetation, outlining its boundary, or for small-sized gardens. Among the popular species in this group are Rage, Icy Island and Crimson Glory
Spider – This group of chrysanthemums has a more exotic appearance due to their spider-shaped form. Colors are hanging and are in one or several shades at once. Among the most popular species in this group are Evening Glow, Symphony and Western Voodoo
Reflex – the blooms are with fleets that curl down, and the crossing of the flora creates an interesting look like a feather. Among the popular species in this group are White City, Champion and Apricot
Thistle – you can create unrecognizable exotics in your garden with this species. Multicolours are characteristic of these chrysanthemums. Among the popular species in this group are Cindy, Cisco and Orange Spray
Unclassified – Chrysanthemum varieties are not exhausted here, but there are ones that can not be attributed to any particular species. They differ from existing or rather fall into several categories. So-called “unclassified mothers” are very different in size and color. Among the popular species in this group are Lone Star, Lili Gallon and Pacificum
What do you need to know about planting chrysanthemums?
To develop well-perennial plantings when put into the soil, you must do it in the spring. This is the best time to adapt the flower as well as to maintain a healthy root system. Planting during the first spring days will also favor a more lush bloom in the next year. This is your investment in the form of time and effort. It is desirable to decide on the type of vegetation in your garden at an earlier stage. So in the spring you will be prepared with everything you need
Chrysanthemums are struggling plants that survive in almost all conditions. It is highly recommended to keep moist and well drained soil. This is often associated with more watering, but it is very wrong. It must be within reasonable limits so as not to damage the roots. Bet on the balance in a cluster of permeable, nutrient-rich and nutrient-rich environments. Perfect soil structure is obtained after treatment with peat moss, compost, fertilizer or drainage with coarse sand. The mixture should be neutral to slightly acidic
Light and location
The chrysanthemum adores the light and is highly dependent on it. It is possible to blossom at different times if it is located near artificial light – lanterns in the yard, large porch lamps and more. Regarding natural sunlight – it actually takes about 6 hours a day. However, it is proven that the endurance, growth and flowering of the flower is improved if it is more than that. Appropriate location is in the shady garden shade, as direct sunlight through the hottest heat is not at all useful. The vegetation is susceptible to combustion when the temperatures are too high. The flower is “clever” – at the end of summer it feels the decrease of the day against the night and starts to form pimples
Do not wonder if this is of great importance. Do not be tempted by a dense placement to fit more types of vegetation. At first it will seem to you that there is plenty of space, but things will change in the stage of growth. Already in the autumn (if you are settled in spring) will start the increase in width and height. Every year the lasting vegetation will be “exquisite”. Place mothers at a distance where they can “breathe” quietly – so they can easily get nutrients, they will not attract the enemies and get sick. Do not overlook this small detail, which can be a hindrance to a healthy and glamorous garden
What kind of care should you make about chrysanthemum?
- Watering – should be more abundant in spring, summer and autumn. Winter can be interrupted. The safest way for quality and moderate irrigation is achieved through built-in drip systems that automatically do so when the humidity level drops. If you do not have one, observe the soil. It is desirable to water early in the morning
- Pruning – will create more luxuriant colors, will make more branching and will further strengthen the vegetation in the next period. It is only important to “capture” the period and cut it properly
- Fertilization – fertilization is extremely important for obtaining the necessary nutrients. Do not overlook this important step in cultivating the chrysanthemum. Feed once a month from the beginning of the spring to July – during the growth period. Use a suitable fertilizer for this purpose – the potassium and nitrogen content is very useful
- Overwintering – as the winter approaches, the soil of chrysanthemums must be prepared. Mulch the area with straw or twigs of conifers after the first frosts. This will keep the temperature warmer and the roots will not freeze in the coldest weather.
Diseases and pests
Flourish manna – an indication of the disease is the formation of leaves and coloring. Besides the natural way of illness, high air humidity is a major cause. To fight the disease, use sulfur, fungicide and others
Gray rot – the source is again high humidity, and the symptoms lie in brown patches of leaves and stems or the change of fresh leaf tips. The enemy of the disease is ventilation and strong light. For a better precaution, treat with additional detergents
Septoris – reappear in the form of dark brown spots on the leaves. This fungal disease is growing and over time leads to the fall of leaves and disturbance of the overall appearance of the vegetation. In case of such a problem, it is necessary to resort to the immediate removal of diseased leaves, to reduce irrigation and to ventilate well
Red mite – this parasite leaves behind a thin spider web. It causes damage from the underside of the chrysanthemum leaves, resulting in yellowing, drying and falling. A precautionary measure against the pest is daily spraying and frequent ventilation, which improves air circulation
Flea lice – not only do they defeat the flower but also carry many viruses. The attackers are very stubborn and move in whole colonies on the underside of the leaves, on the buds of the flowers and the young stems of the stems. They feed on the plant’s plant juice and consequently weaken. You should take quick action when there are such unwanted guests
Tryps – damages the leaves by spreading whole colonies. The upper part acquires a gray-brown color with silvery glare, and under stronger influence – discolored completely. There is a fall of the leaves. You must use appropriate insecticides to deal with stubborn pests.