Choosing plants to fill your garden can be difficult. You hardly know the abundance of green and flowering vegetation, in what conditions they must be planted to grow well, what climate they prefer, etc. Well, more information is needed to obtain this information. Emphasize the most important steps when choosing plants. After a while, you will find everything that suits your taste and preferences, and at the same time will survive in the environment in which you put them.
Stages of selecting plants for the garden
Selection of plants suited to the climatic characteristics
- Durable perennial plants that grow in cold conditions – if you live in a place where the weather is colder or fast changing, then emphasize on durable plants . In this case, look for vegetation that is not affected by a sharp decrease or increase in temperatures – ostrich ferns, shrubs.
- Heat-resistant plants in tropical and subtropical climates – this type of climate is characterized by warm and humid weather. Representatives that are suitable for this environment are again different types of ferns, amaranths, orchids, aloe, bamboo and more. Aim for those and some other species that are resistant to the varying heat and rains.
- Take care of the plants when the freezing period arrives – every resident knows when the colder glacier is coming, but it is best to keep an eye on the forecast. This will give you time to prepare and take the necessary steps to protect the beautiful vegetation from freezing.
Choosing plants based on garden conditions
- Consider the space available – scales must be considered in order to plan – what and in what quantities you can put in the yard. Identify your personal needs – a vegetable and orchard, more greenery, or a combination of greenery with more flowering plants. Keep in mind that vegetables and fruits require more space for growth and development. However, the lack of space should not stop you, because there are many trade-offs for a good looking garden.
- In large spaces, bet on taller and larger vegetation – large areas allow for great expression. You can plant trees, shrubs and more. So in a short time you will notice wonderful and majestic forms in your garden. Trimming them in a certain way can contribute to the whole composition. Recommended plants for such conditions are creeping phlox, magnolia, Japanese maples, Roman chamomile, etc.
- Plant plants in pots and containers if the soil is not favorable or space is too limited – this type of planting looks beautiful, the container can be used as an accent in the garden, and you can buy auspicious soil. The good thing is that the vegetation can be harvested in the winter and you also save the laborious reorganization of the beds in the garden. Only the pot type should be careful here – it should be deep and large enough and with holes for more efficient drainage.
- Select plants according to the soil in the garden – the types of soils are different – dry, friable, saturated, etc. However, the environment in which the plants are placed is important for healthy roots and for growth. Of course, you could improve your soil with various additives, but still try to comply with the main vegetation type soil.
- To the level of light in a garden – Most plants are very pretentious in terms of light. It is best to keep a diary in hours. Full sun is considered to be in direct sunlight for about 8 hours, and at 4-5 in part. You could combine plants with more sun preference with those that want shady areas. This will fill every corner properly.
Mixing annuals, perennials, fruits and vegetables
- Plant live annual flowers – the variety of colors always brings life to the garden. Make a selection of many annuals with bright and beautiful blooms. You could refer to typical examples of abundant colors of representatives of dahlias, petunias, begonias, roses, tulips and more. The possibilities of colors are almost limitless, some in colorful hues, creating an even greater effect in the outer your home
- Place perennial flowers and shrubs – no need to fall foliage gets cold and gloomy atmosphere that occurs in your garden. Some perennials and perennial plants retain their beauty almost throughout the year, while others bloom for years. It is only important to take care of their healthy appearance, and they will thank you every time.
- Put fresh fruits and vegetables – they can be combined in some corner of the garden and look more modern than a typical rural garden. Don’t be fooled that fruits and vegetables will endanger your garden. Properly positioning them will preserve the entire composition and its attractive appearance. At the same time you will have fresh vegetables for salad or organic fruits for healthy eating.
- Put extra emphasis on ornamental plants – there are many types that can serve you mainly for additional decoration. These representatives do not usually bloom profusely, but they have an interesting and different shape of the leaves, the flowering has an extremely pleasant aroma, etc.